Sunday, May 3, 2009

Production time

Not sure of the title for this painting yet.  The working title is Lines or Entanglement.  I guess I should wait and see how the rest of the series goes.  I also performed more work on Go Home from the previous post.  Oh, that's a working title as well.  If you haven't guessed from reading previous posts the working title isn't always the title a painting ends up with.  It takes a while to figure out the title for some paintings especially if they go really quick.

The second reception at Modified went really well.  I've sold ten works so far in that exhibit which is really good.  It's pretty much a fifty/fifty of small and large works, which surprised me with this economy just a little.  I still have the ghost of "paintings are dark" haunting me.  I guess I should be used to it, but it still bugs me from time to time. It's not the intent really.  I simply paint what comes to me to paint and it's not worth the creative block to edit myself.


4 comments:

  1. Missed your opening, is your work still up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello George, sorry it's going down this weekend.

    I have the showing coming up in June up in Sedona, AZ at the Lanning Gallery that will be there the whole month with regular daily hours. If you feel like escaping the Phoenix heat you should head up then. Many of the paintings from the Modified show will be there along with what I'm painting currently. It will be a great show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you generate enough money from the Modified show to justify the years of sweat and tears invested in your work, wink, wink...as if that ever happens

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very funny, wink, wink...

    The answer to your question is I don't really worry about that anymore. I no longer think of it in those terms. If it sells well I'm happy, if it sells poorly I'm still happy. When my mentor and first painting instructor in college comes to my show and tells me how beautiful the canvases are with tears of joy in his eyes that I've finally have arrived... What can I say that's what it's about. I'm very much a painter's painter.

    I used to be a little hung up on the justifying my hard work and frustrated when you'd turn in slides after slides and disks after disks of your work to Museum exhibitions, artist grants, and public arts projects only to receive a rejection letter or no word at all. Not to mention the shows where only one painting sold or none. Always told "Your paying your dues" by folks.

    Then I realized that the art isn't about them and that I couldn't stop doing it if I tried and be happy. It took me a few years and a lot of growing to adopt this way of thinking though.

    ReplyDelete