Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The sweet trappings of the studio



Ah, the sweet trappings of the studio. I know it sounds weird, but sometimes the studio serves as my sanctuary from the world. It's home to my soul in a way.

I've been spending a lot of time drawing out the plans for my future studio space. The big question has been for years whether to rent or to build with a preference to build. I'm really a night person when I work. While, the world sleeps I paint into the morning and call it quits a couple hours before the sun is due to rise sometimes even mid work week with a job to go to in the morning. Being five to twenty miles from home and having to drive home to crash just doesn't seem like a very sound plan for me. There are pros and cons to both needless to say. The build option is less studio space than renting or buying an industrial space, but either would be a huge increase on work space for me now.

I'm beginning to realize how coping with a lack of space is a huge hinderance to an artist's creativity. I also realize what a comfort zone a art studio is for an artist despite it's limitations there is a feeling of not wanting to give it up or trade up for a bigger space. You become very attached to the space. Nonetheless, for me it's time for a bigger studio and that's going to be my goal for the upcoming year. A new bigger studio.

On to the new work. The new painting is titled 204 Days. The title comes simply from the bus stop sign being for route 204 and the Days denotes the time the camera and the human perceptions capture. I like to use elements from the collage elements along with words that denote the overall theme of my work.

The idea of time and the perception of it is a huge part of my work. Time is very much a reality for us, but our perceptions of it become so subjective and distorted when tired, sick, drunk, or ultra healthy and energetic our understanding of events in retrospect or during is so altered. I find myself questioning the essence of it all and wondering if what I consider reality is nothing more than an elaborate illusion, because of how elusive trying to put a finger on what is real or imagined is.

Again, I don't know the answers or feel sated by the answers or others, but merely pose the questions in paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment