Sunday, February 27, 2011

Revisited



Spent a little time working in the new studio this weekend.  There's still some loose ends before I can formally move in and truly get to work.  I'm like a kid who can't sleep the night before the family leaves to go to Disneyland.

I'm working on one of the print pieces from last year's print show.  I'm bringing Remembered completely up to being a finished painting.  It's really a bit of a study.  I'm waiting to hear the word "Go" from the gallery on a 48 x 72" commissioned painting.  I'm going to go ahead and paint three canvases of three different bridges in Portland, Oregon and let the client choose and simply show the others.  In the past I've created three versions of the same composition, but in this case I don't want the works to be as closely related.

I figured that reworking Remembered into a full painting would be a good way to get into the groove.  The paintings will be in either a horizontal or vertical format.  It might be a case where all three are horizontal and my photo studies for all three bridges can lean that way.  I have painted the Steel Bridge three times counting Remembered.  Last summer when I was in Portland I took a panoramic shot of the bridge with a barge passing beneath.  I think this study will work really well at this scale horizontally and it's a orientation that I haven't tried yet.

I find the thought of painting a series of three works simultaneously in the same space really exciting. I can place one on the north wall and the other two on the west wall.  To think that without the new studio I'd have to use my patio to paint them one at a time.  It's just... wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment