Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Catching My Breath



I'm just catching my breath from a very busy two months.  A lot has happened since the last post.  I finally addressed my umbilical hernia from childhood and had it fixed.  The recovery was uneventful, but kept me from working on the canvas consistently for several weeks.  I am simply amazed at how physical painting really is.  It's something that I've never really thought about.  Although, when the sutures in my abdomen would start hurting after an hour or so of painting - this realization came very quickly.  I'm happy to report that I'm pretty much back to normal. I'm also really happy to have the hernia out of my way.

Above are the last two paintings I completed for the show - 35 Days and Unwritten Rules.  

35 Days is about lovers surrounded by a dark world and all that life throws at us to overcome.  In short it's about how love triumphs over adversity. I'm a bit of a romantic.  It's also in the light of my surgery.  It was a scary time for my wife and I, frankly I had it easy.  They knocked me out cold and in the meantime she had to wait in the waiting room pacing the floor with worry until it was over.  Afterwards, she had to take care of me and perform the lion's share of house choirs.  This is what being in love is about though.  Two people meet and choose to become a family and depend on each other and weather all the storms life has to offer them- together.  It's beautiful.

Unwritten Rules is about the movement of people within the urban environment. It's a strangely choreographed dance that can be completely reduced to chaos within a moment.  Often chaos is the rule, but as soon as a calamity takes place the motion and movement of people continues as if nothing happened. 



No comments:

Post a Comment