Monday, July 11, 2011

Long Day Started



I started Long Day.  My game plan is to get most of the canvases for the upcoming exhibit started and then just work them all to completion.  I know that the summer heat has a tendency to sap my creative energies, so I'm going to simplify my life by getting the most creatively draining part of the works out of the way.  Figuring out what to paint and starting them.


I also want to use this as an opportunity to lay out the color scheme for the works.  I usually work with strong grey tones.  This show I want to have some grey, but I want to shift the pallet towards the earth tones and then either add warm tones or let it go towards the grey pallet.  I guess for the most part I'll have to see where it goes from here.  I don't want to make anymore hard and fast rules except for the earth tone pallet.


In regards to this series of works in particular that Long Day will be part of.  I'm going to develop compositions around strong central figures.  I want to leave everything other than a figure or to out of focus or abstracted.  They are going to be almost portraits of a sort.  I just notice that when I'm looking through my photos that some figures just stand out and that nothing else in that particular scene is really of interest to me, but that it feels weird to compose these figures into another composition with other figures.  They would almost become lost or would simply compete with the other figures.  So why not just blur their backdrops and make the works completely about them?

No comments:

Post a Comment