Tuesday, February 10, 2009

George Bellows







Finished No Apologies I'm not sure if that will be the final name or not.  I know that is what I'm going to entitle the April Show at Modified Arts.  I'm working on the title for the June Show in Sedona. 

I recieved the George Bellows book by Mary Sayre Haverstock.  It's interesting.  I find myself a touch disappointed, because it doesn't include some of the works I wanted to finally have in a book by George Bellows.  There are tons of works I'd not seen or seen in color before, but there of different time periods of his work around the time he painted Stag at Starky's.  I guess art historians and artists differ on opinion of what the most critical part of an artist's body of work is.  It's still the best book I've seen of his work, so it will be spending a lot of time in the studio.  I'm excited that the Ashcan School Painters are getting more critical attention now with museum exhibitions and supporting publications.  As much as I love the American Abstract Expressionism art history wise it seems like they happened and everything else before might as well not have happened.  That's my perception of it when I was attending school and years after trying to purchase books on the movement over the years. This George Bellow's book is the first of five of my purchases.  I have another one on all of the artists of the movement in route and will be ordering three more when I get paid.  I'm getting them while I can before they go out of print.  It's important to note all of these were published in either 2007 or 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment