Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Your Vanity Can Wait



Here's what is going on in the studio this week so far.  I'm back to producing work. I'm trying to make up for lost time without over extending myself.  The Getaway is coming along nicely.  I also knocked out a small 9x12 canvas entitled Your Vanity Can Wait.  I'm not sure what's with the title, but that is what popped into my head while working on it.  I know I'll understand some where down the road.  I would like to add some collaged elements, but I have to figure out what is appropriate. I think a postmark would do nicely, but I have to find the right one at the right size. I don't want to place something that is simply gratuitous and unnecessary to the work.  I don't feel it necessary for every work to have abstract or collage elements.  There's no formula here, I just paint and do what feels right.  Painting is so much about the dialog between the artist and the painting.  I honestly feel like the painting is already within the canvas - I just need to make it happen.  It's like that when I paint into old paintings and turn them into something different too.  Paintings, just like people grow and change.  I think my repainted canvases are sometimes my best because they have so much more history.

No comments:

Post a Comment